Friday, August 8, 2014

Dominion: The Finale But Hopefully Not Final


Leave a bruise so it looks good.

               All I can say is WOW! The Dominion season 1 finale had so many twists and turns that I had to download the episode from Amazon Video then watch it again just to keep track. Story wise the episode was a bit choppy and felt rushed but given the amount of episodes Dominion was given the writers did pretty well. It's the characters that mostly had me hooked. Some people are saying that the episode kind of deviated from Alex to focus more on Gabriel and Michael. But of course. Alex already accepted his destiny now it's his teacher that needs some guidance. I'm going to point out the strong points of the episode "Beware Those Closest To You".


There's more to Michael than meets the eye

        1. I had a feeling that Michael and Alex would have a plan to try and outwit Gabriel. I didn't really believe they turned against each other although Tom and Chris made it very convincing. 


You know Riesen is gonna run New Delphi

        2. So Riesen just ups and leaves? I did like how he left though. It was kind of like a "screw you I can do whatever the hell I want I'm the general" attitude. Alan just has that tough exterior that he brings to his character. He may fall but he'll get right back up.


Birds of a feather and I mean birds of prey

        2. Arika & Uriel are working together and are lovers! I don't know if anyone remembers but I blogged about Dominion's two most dangerous females Arika (or I guess Evelyn) and Uriel might be working together. It wasn't a serious thought so knock it up to a wild guess come true. They want to get Alex on their side by kidnapping Claire who is pregnant with Alex's baby. How would they pull that off with Alex with Gabriel at the moment? But it just proves that the women on Dominion are so much smarter than the men. Girl power!


White is so dull, Claire adds flair with magenta

       3. Claire & Arika rocking their outfits like the queens that they are. I swear ever since Claire has been participating in politics she's been working her wardrobe and Roxanne helps to sell the outfit with her catwalk. And as always Shivani is smoldering in Arika's exotic fashion.


Poor Furiad. He's every Archangel's bitch



It's if Hugh Hefner ran an underground S&M sex club

        4. Noma just disappears in Gabriel's lair. I'm happy Kim wasn't killed off because I feel we were just getting to know the real Noma (and she had a thing with Furiad?). Also, Gabriel necking some eight ball. Angels love a love fest. How Carl stays cool in black leather in such heat I have no idea but his S&M look really sells his sexy villain persona as well as his laugh which I now want as my ringtone. 


Did the sexual tension just turn up a notch? Oh it's just me

        5. Gabriel & Claire recreate Hannibal Lector. I didn't notice until someone pointed it out but the gleeful serial killer talking with the determined feisty investigator looking for answers really took me back to that Jodie Foster movie. And anyone want to ship Claire and Gabriel? When I saw Alex and Michael arguing who should go into the cage with Gabriel I pictured fangirls having the exact same argument. 


Alex, come over to the dark side you get to wear
cool black leather pants

       6. William seems to have David on a leash. Heel David! But David's not broken enough to murder his own son. I was happy to see David for once treat William like a son that he loves. Luke is a wonderful actor in that he made me love and hate William at the same time and Anthony going from a proud controlling parent to a loving humble one really touched me. I could really see the change in David. 


"Does anyone object to this union?"
Umm YES

       7. Claire kicks William to the curb. That was the shortest marriage Vegas has ever seen but still longer than Britney Spears's Vegas Wedding. Poor William screwed himself though with those flowers and trusting Gabriel of course. I could tell that William really loved Claire I mean he was willing to raise Alex's baby and he didn't pressure Claire about consummating their marriage. I bet if William didn't give Claire those flowers he would have sealed the deal but poor thoughtful Will. Luke and Roxanne looked so cute standing together on that altar though. 


Time to blow their minds in every sense of that phrase

      8. I love Gabriel and Michael with their family chats. Carl and Tom have great chemistry, their dialogues and scenes are full of intensity. So Michael & Gabriel are twins? Somehow that explains so much. I loved that Gabriel just had this mournful look on his face when he told Michael about Louis being under Becca's "protection". The truth hurts and it hurt Gabriel to dash Michael's hopes like that.


Poor Louis! Put him out of his misery!



I didn't like her, I liked her then I didn't like her... I'm confused

     9. Michael goes all berserk after finding poor Louis cut up like a lab rat. I hated Becca at that moment although I believe she loved Michael, just not enough to be honest with him. Tom was just so fierce I was holding my breath the whole scene where Michael flies off the handle (justifiably) but a cut from Alex wakes him up (and allowed me to take a breath) and he sees with horror what bloodshed he had done. I love how Michael has gone from a black and white character to a very complex, very human creature. Truthfully I figured Becca would be killed off. I wish Rosalind had more screen time so we could have gotten deeper into her character but 9 episodes (8 really) is not enough to expand on every character. 


It just got all Fringe up in here

      10. I know I shouldn't but every time I watch Gabriel just step over Becca's corpse with that look on his face I let loose a chuckle. I can't help it! Carl just plays the sadistic angel so well. Gabriel keeps saying Alex should let him guide him but there's still that "kill all humanity" thing. That's a deal breaker. Personally I would love to see Chris and Carl's characters interact more. With Michael it's all Jedi Luke Skywalker with Obi Wan but with Gabriel I would imagine Darth Vader. Come over to the dark side, Alex.


I think Alex would be an awesome dad!

       11. Alex's letter to his unborn child really tugged at my heartstrings. I felt myself tearing up. Seeing Alex at the entrance of Gabriel's lair is NOT where I wanted it to end especially if SyFy doesn't renew Dominion, which I hope they do! Michael's off somewhere flying to nowhere in particular, lost and hopeless again so who else will teach Alex to read the markings? I know Alex is just going to use Gabriel (until he gets word of Uriel kidnapping Claire I suppose). But it was an ending that left me wanting more and that's important.


Things are just getting more intense

        Dominion had a rocky start and it was a bit slow at the beginning I'll admit that but the characters are what have me on the hook and it takes a while for a show to find it's voice anyway so by season 2 the writers would have found a rhythm. The show's main trait are the surprising twists that keep knocking me off my chair! Dominion and Defiance both trended Thursday night, which I feel SyFy will not ignore when deciding whether or not to renew for a season 2. I really hope they do renew because I'm sick of vampires to tell you the truth. Supernatural is on it's way out the door and after that there will just be zombies, werewolves, and vampires. Break the ordinary, SyFy, Dominion has such potential to be great. It's worth every penny spent on it and I don't care if you have another season with another 8 episodes I want to see this series continue.


No comments: