Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Why I'm Over "Revenge"



        When I first saw the premiere of ABC's Revenge, I was very drawn in. I always liked revenge stories but I found this particularly interesting as it's based off the revenge novel The Count of Monte Cristo. Think if Edmund Dantès had a daughter and she decided to avenge him for his life being ruined as he was framed for a crime he didn't commit or he was a scape goat for powerful people. I was excited about it, but after a while the story sort of fizzled out for me. 

Emily is wearing red for Revenge

         I really liked Emily Thorne. Her last name was subtle and denoted her real agenda and how for the formidable socialite, Victoria Grayson, Emily has continually been a pain to her. When I write a revenge story or am writing an idea for a revenge story, I like to make the person seeking revenge fall in love with some one close to the enemy, i.e. Victoria's son, Daniel. At first Daniel seemed vulnerable and desired to escape his family's rich life style. Emily sees this vulnerability and to me she seemed to like it out of personal reasons. She grew a little protective of his well-being. When Daniel was beaten in prison (courtesy of Victoria in a ploy to get him out of prison), Emily found the man who had something to do with the beating and beat the crap out of him. Her narration dictated that women are more primal than men when it comes to protecting the nest; women are more ferocious and they find protecting their family very gratifying. 

Is it me or are these two giving off heat?

       But then suddenly Emily saw how Daniel was changing; how he was becoming more like his family and also she was frustrated by how she no longer can have power over him. This resulted her in resenting him and lumping him in with the people she hated. Daniel also became less mild, doting, and vulnerable and becoming more willful and desiring to be the alpha in everything. I feel Emily and Daniel have lost their sizzle.

Emily in innocent white? Where's the sexy red?

          Daniel shoots Emily after discovering her secret but I didn't like that. I was actually hoping Charlotte shot her because they're sisters and Emily's sad expression made me believe that she was pleading with a sister. Next episode Emily seems to have lost her memory and Daniel now his a conflict of conscience. Is she faking or has she really lost her memory? Will Daniel try to kill her again or will he try and save his marriage and the woman he fell in love with? Interesting questions but to me this seems like a last ditch effort to keep the story interesting by temporarily de-railing Emily's revenge train. 

It's not drama unless someone ends up in the hospital


Mirror, mirror on the wall...

         I love Madeleine Stowe. She has a kind of femme fatale aura. She portrays Victoria as a lioness, she stalks her prey, very protective of her brood, and if she senses danger she'll rip your eyes out with her claws. Victoria and Emily are a lot alike, which makes them quite a match for each other. They are mirror images of each other but after a while I feel they seemed to disconnect. The dynamic between them has gotten less fencing and more cage fighting; going from elegant to messy. Victoria is a tragic yet empowering figure who has survived a tragic childhood and is now a force in the world of the elite. Again she and Emily are two peas in a pod in that they are survivors. No matter the storm they can pass right through, scathed but alive and ready for another fight. Now they seem just frantic. 

These dueling divas be balling!

            Emily has three suitors and since they're hot you'd think that would sound like a real good trashy romance novel but it isn't. Emily has completely written off Daniel and Jack has not lived up to my expectations. Remember when Jack confessed to have a soulful connection to Emily when they first met? Now it seems he's being more of a dick to her instead of trying to understand her. I guess when their dog died so did the soulmate flame. Then there's Aiden. I was kind of hoping that he would just disappear because he's just there to fill space. He doesn't seem to be helping Emily in her vengeance scheme by sleeping with her. Someone would have found out if Daniel didn't happen to overhear Emily's secret. 

It was simpler with just a triangle...


…now it's a confusing square.

          Now the story structure. So far every premiere episode has started with the exciting part: someone gets shot or is in mortal danger. Season 1 was exciting but after 2 more seasons the technique is too played out and frustrating for me. Season 3 I got tired of waiting for the wedding and seeing Emily get shot. I stopped watching 3 or 4 episodes before the wedding. Also Charlotte was getting annoying again. She was likable after going to rehab but then she got bitchy again. 

Mom never likes the girls Danny brings home

         Revenge stories are great. They are exciting because of the drama and pleasure of seeing someone get their just desserts. It's the poetry of a Shakespearean play set in any era. It's a fantasy we all have from time to time when someone has deeply wronged us. Yet revenge stories shouldn't take so long. I would restrict a revenge story arc to one season. You can still have all that has happened on Revenge but you just have to compact it. I still keep up with the show but I just stick with Wikipedia or magazines.

No comments: