Thursday, December 12, 2013

Almost Human: "Blood Brothers" Review


          So far the FOX program known as Almost Human is drawing me further in. Last week's episode "Blood Brothers" was one of my favorites next to "Skin". 

This is not the sort of flashing you'd expect in a locker room

         First part of the episode where John, tired of waiting for Dorian, goes down to see how the Androids lived. However, he didn't expect to see a life-sized Ken Doll! Now he feels scarred for life. The time in the car, where most of Dorian and John's best scenes are, John gets an unwanted eyeful Dorian's down stair equipment. When I finally stopped laughing I couldn't help think that John may be suffering from penis envy right now. The scenes in the car are the best since neither party can walk away from the conversation. Dorian can go from an adult to a six-year-old in a minute; that's part of his charm.



         Meanwhile, Captain Maldonado is dealing with a man with a Hannibal Lector complex, except I think Hannibal Lector wouldn't like Ethan Avery stealing his moves. I was hoping that Maldonado wouldn't let Avery get under her skin but we all have our own insecurities. She gets Avery back though in the end and a handsome prosecutor gives her compliment that put a smile on her face.


         It wouldn't be a science fiction show without a surgically modified medium and a few clones thrown in. Maya, the medium psychic (on good days a petite psychic) is the only living witness in the trial against Ethan Avery. I had the strongest urge to call her Luna Lovegood. Avery's clones are after her so she couldn't testify against their "father" or "brother" in court. John called it that Avery was a narcissist; only a narcissist would make copies of himself. 



         John is stuck playing baby sitter to "banana pants" and Dorian and Maya have a pretty fun time ganging up on Detective Kennex. Even when Maya tries to give him a reading of his red aura, John can't help but fire back sarcastic quips. But John and Dorian know how to come together and watch each other's backs to protect their witness from a hail of bullets. 



          Honestly we are all expecting John and Valerie Stahl to hook up but John is taking his sweet time. He's already doing the cheesy lines "I've got an eye for you." I see that Stahl seems more than willing to give John a shot and you'd think a man with a robotic leg would be faster getting somewhere. I guess that doesn't include matters of the heart. Still I see John's hesitation. His last girlfriend turned out to be a criminal and tried to kill him. Okay I'll wait a little while longer in this dance. 



         Dorian learns more about death and how humans try and come to grips with it in different ways. For Maya she got brain surgery to try and hear her dead parents again. However, since her house burned down and she needs something the deceased touched, Maya lost her parents all over again. I thought Dorian's gesture at the end with remnants of Maya's burnt house was thoughtful. Dorian is getting better at consoling people. Also Dorian's Terminator move where he flipped a van over was incredible! He's the billion dollar man and a much better looking Robo-Cop. 


       I liked the closing scene with John and Valerie watching the soccer game while drinking bourbon. Maya did have a vague vision of people running, a light, and bourbon. I guess John shed some of his skepticism that night. 

       All in all, I loved "Blood Brothers". The chemistry between John and Dorian really draws me in and I love seeing the new tech and all things sic-fi. I wonder if Dorian really did get his own place or even a girlfriend? DRNs were built to bond with people so it isn't far fetched. He could probably get an upgrade and put his "equipment" to good use. I hope we get more into that next week.


No comments: