Monday, November 25, 2013

What I Thought of "Almost Human"


    
          This may be a short blog, but only because I don't find anything wrong with this show. The only thing wrong is probably that it's on FOX and we all know that FOX has a reputation of canceling shows at the snap of its fingers. So I hope this helps the show in its ratings. 



          First I'll tell you a little about the show. Karl Urban plays morose Detective John Kennex who wakes from a 2 year coma after his team was ambushed by a criminal organization called Ensyndicate. He's not a fan of robots (or Synthetics) even though he's got a synthetic leg. Yet if Kennex wants to rejoin the police force he's gonna need a Synthetic. Then comes the DRN or Dorian played by Michael Ealy. The DRNs were built using a program called "Synthetic Soul" which makes them act as human as possible. Yet because of that, DRNs would sometimes go crazy, emotionally. Surprisingly, Dorian and Kennex find that they are pretty much alike as they need each other if they don't want to end up in the scrap heap, so to speak. And so after a rough start they begin to act like a real team in fighting crime. The show is a science fiction, procedural show and I feel that makes it unique. 

          I feel like Michael Ealy and Karl Urban are very under appreciated actors. They have great talent and are perfect for Sci-fi settings. When ever I write a Sci-fi short story I always think back to characters played by Karl Urban. I also wanna say that USA should never have cancelled Common Law. I thought it was original idea, the actors had a great chemistry and should have gotten at least one more season. Personally I thought the "Friday" song by that forgettable no-hit wonder did it in but that's just me. That being said, we all remember Karl Urban from a couple of movies, some of you may not even remember him but he did play the CIA agent Cooper in RED and Bones in the new Star Trek films. Michael Ealy played a World War II soldier in Miracle at St. Anna's and played a character in the movie Takers. I also want to point out that Rudy Lom from The Pirates of the Caribbean and Game of Thrones plays the ME. Together I believe these actors have a great chemistry. Their characters have a great rapport and they seem to balance each other out. Where John is rough and impatient at times, Dorian is softer and has more restraint. Yet also when Dorian is struggling with sorting out emotions, John is understanding and tries to explain the reason behind a particular emotion. 

         The over all story is interesting and seems unique in its way to grab you. The many different technologies are amazing. I love the rapport of John and Dorian. That line: "Don't scan my testicles. Ever again." was hilarious! 

          I do believe I have found something to fill my boring Mondays at 8 pm while I wait for Sleepy Hollow or Beauty and the Beast at 9 pm. I hope FOX gives Almost Human a chance. 

No comments: