Monday, October 28, 2013

Reign: A Second Review

   


          After the Pilot of Reign, the second episode aired on The CW and I have to say I did see some improvements. Against my better judgment I stuck around The CW instead of switching to USA to watch White Collar, and tweeted with other already fans. Not only did I attain some new followers but I did start to have a liking to the new show.



First Improvement: (Old Score: D)

        Remember when I said the clothes were my biggest problem? Well they have since then improved. With period projects, the cost is always daunting especially when most of the money goes into the clothes. Yet some costume designers find ways to compensate costs and that's where creativity is really tested. I found the clothes of the Pilot very disconcerting; so much so that I didn't feel connected to the setting. However, the clothes seemed to be more consistent with the era with some modern twists. Mary Stewart's outfit for the arrival of Lady Madeleine was lovely and then her creamy white gown at the picnic just as stunning. So on that the show scores: A!



Second Improvement: (Old Score: C+)



          The love triangle brewing between Sebastian, Mary, and Francis is growing more engaging with Bash taking risks like helping Mary find Collin and Francis helping Mary fool the English Ambassador that their alliance is on firm ground; so sweet of both of them! Then Francis coming to help his brother in the dark and scary woods, although I do worry about Royal Security. Why are all these very important people going off alone where they could be killed? Are the guards that easy to slip pass by? No wonder royal assassinations were so easy. Anyway, the only attractive actors on there that I would crush on are Mary and Bash; sorry but they're just better looking. The score for characters: B!



Third Improvement: (Old Score: B+)

          The all-around story is becoming more engaging. The mystery person with the potato sack on her head; well we finally have a name: Clarissa. Nostradomus seems to be the only person in the whole castle who knows who this ghost is. Then there are the people in the woods. I guess they're pagans as there have been mentions of them doing blood sacrifices and being called heretics and then Bash cutting his hand and yelling out some gibberish. At first I thought: is Bash some sort of wizard? I suppose we'll find out more eventually. Then there was a plot against Mary to terrorize her into dropping the French Alliance. That was entertaining. Also when Catherine found a large red "X" in her bed. Catherine's been marked! Score: A+!



Fourth Improvement: (Old Score: C)

         It's not really an improvement. The music for the era hasn't made much of a showing as it is still replaced by modern artists. I didn't expect much to change there but I'll let that slide. Score: C+!

         So pretty much vast improvements have been made but it's still too early to tell if this show will be renewed. The third episode is really vital for such success. Hopefully numbers will go up.

No comments: