Monday, October 28, 2013

Once Wonderland: Why I Ship The Knave & Alice




         I watched the Once Upon A Time in Wonderland pilot On Demand as I watch The Vampire Diaries at 8 on Thursdays (sorry but they were there first and I'm not switching to any other channel that day or time). I have to say... the romance between Cyrus and Alice is one word: BORING! So I began to ship the Knave of Hearts (a.k.a. Will Scarlett) and Alice instead.


        First I'll explain why I think Alice and Cyrus are boring. In my growing up with epic stories, the most interesting romance stories start with some friction. The couple hates each other at first; hell they can't stand each other. They have nothing in common and they have completely different ideologies. They argue and bicker but through all that start to learn more about each other, about each other's weaknesses, their fears, and then they get into what they like. With Cyrus and Alice, when they first meet Cyrus has that "love at first sight" look. Alice then starts giving him those "I think you're cute look" after she is disarmed by his charm. I will admit, Cyrus is cute and he is a romantic but his initial attitude just doesn't grab me right away. 



        With the Knave and Alice, their time together is more interesting. The Knave is sarcastic, not very trustworthy, and seems more likely to complain. Yet Alice sees right through that and sees the man beneath all that dry humor and self-preservation. She calls him on it every time, making him rethink his whole attitude. 



        Second, I personally think Will has a thing for Alice. Why else would he risk his life going back to Wonderland where everyone wants to see his head on a silver platter? He complains about how complicated a task is but goes ahead and does it anyway simply because Alice asks. While others say, the Knave's doing it for the wishes, I say Will could have run off with them at any time. He's had plenty of opportunities to take them and leave and just sell them to make a quick buck. Yet he came back to save Alice's life from the ravenous Cheshire Cat. There were also times where I caught the Knave looking at a sad Alice with sympathy. I doubt he ever felt such a twinge of emotion around anyone else. Then there was his look when Alice received that note from Cyrus, he looked somewhat disappointed. 


       Will could have left Wonderland after they didn't find Cyrus at the Mad Hatter's house, but Alice insisted on staying. She even gave him the option of leaving, but Will stayed. If it were me I would have left. People want me dead and I have to find this girl's true love in this strange place because she found a magic necklace? I'll pass. 



       I think Will and Alice's relationship is an interesting one. Will claims Alice is stubborn but I think he likes the challenge. She also got him back his heart, which I hope we see how that happens. Their constant friction and butting of heads forces Will to change and think to become the decent person we know is in there, a person Will doesn't believe exists. Alice is also willing to risk her own mission to get Will out of tight situations. She dove right into the lake after him after the jilted Silver fairy dropped him and ended up stuck in the middle of the lake. Alice also tried to get Will out of the house when they were free from their restraints. Alice valued Will's life more than her quest. That seems more than friendship to me.






        Look, even Prince Charming and Snow White had a rocky start in their epic love journey. I mean the woman stole from him, knocked him unconscious, and just beat him up really. Then Charming captured her and he said his signature romantic line "I told you I'd find you" with such arrogance that it begged ironic laughter. Snow White shot back that he really was a Prince Charming with such disdainful sarcasm that I rolled over laughing because that insult became David's pet name from then on. Now these two are inseparable. They are the definition of true love. 

      To me true love is fighting on occasion. Cyrus and Alice are a bland couple who have that old fairytale feel where it's all black and white and not interesting at all. They don't really clash at all which is just so boring! Put a love triangle in there at least with the Knave as the poor third wheel that I'll root for over Cyrus. I'm not saying I don't like Cyrus, I'm just saying I wish he'd smoke right back into that bottle and stay there.

No comments: