Sunday, March 2, 2014

Congratulations to "Reign"


After an evaluation "Reign" has earned its throne

      I'll be honest, I didn't expect Reign to get its season 2 but it surprised me. People complain all the time when they see an adaptation of history. I should be clear, the producers and writers explained that they are not going to follow the cannon. I actually agree with that. If you're going to do a story about a teenager you have to drag out the drama a little. And history is nothing if not dramatic, a perfect setting for young adult drama, but you're allowed to some poetic license (writers of history has done so in the past, which is why we have many conflicts). 

Poison is an art...


The outfits have much improved.

1.) The Clothes
           I feel the clothes have much improved over the season. In period films, the part that eats up the wallet most is the clothes. While Catherine Medici's dresses and most of the mens' clothes are probably the only authentic, Mary's outfits are very Haute Couture. There was that time when Francis wore a long sleeved sweater; simple yet regal (country club). 


There should be some chamber music but I complain little

2.) The Music
               While I still hold firm that the show should play more music unique to the Renaissance, the music they chose wasn't half bad. However, I wish some of the artists were available for download. I haven't been able to find the few songs or bands I really like that have played on the show.

Most politics are made in the dark in secrecy.

3.) The History/Characters
               The real Diane never had a child with King Henry. One of Diane's daughters was Henry's age. It was Diane who showed the little Henry any motherly affection before he was taken hostage by the Holy Roman Emperor. But every young adult drama needs a love triangle. 

"I love you, Francis..."

"...then again there's Bash"


      Besides, I like Bash. Torrence Combs plays him well. And I'll admit I'm a sucker for forbidden romances. In real life, Catherine didn't have an illegitimate child but that added some thrill to the story. Nostradamus in real life was a schizophrenic who had a few lucky guesses. Poetic prophecies are open to interpretation, but that's probably what makes them so much fun to play with when you're a writer.

Trouble in paradise

Diane would make a great Lady MacBeth

         Getting a second season is a great accomplishment for any show. The trick is to stay on top. I think the Reign writers have found a rhythm. So congratulations to Reign. 


"Reign" seems to have hit its mark.


     

No comments: