Monday, September 30, 2013

Fan Conduct: Cyber Bullying

            I'm a big fan of The Vampire Diaries. So much so that I always say I'm not available to work Thursday nights because my show is on. I love the characters and I appreciate the actors who bring those characters to life, but I KNOW that it's not real; that these actors are playing characters and this doesn't reflect their real lives. But then I find the fans who mix those roles up and treat the actors like idols that they can play around with. Sometimes that idol-play turns into cyber bullying, which disgusts me and makes me ashamed to be a fan.

            First, it was Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerholder. Fans were so excited about the couple, likening them to their on-screen personas: Elena and Damon. Sometimes fans like to combine names and "ship" that tv-couple; I myself am a big Delena fan. But then I see on Twitter that fans started calling Nina and Ian, Nian. What? That's when the reality gets confused with the fantasy. Once Nina and Ian broke up there was a huge uproar. Some fans didn't believe it while others were overly dramatic and said they would die. Then I heard that some people were sending Nina nasty Tweets, which pissed me off! Break ups are never easy, it was hard enough for both Ian and Nina, especially since Elena chose Damon on the show and they have to work together everyday. Nina didn't need all those crazy fangirls blowing up her Twitter feed with their bile. Of course more fans went to Nina's defense, of which I'm glad of. Some TVD fans want to believe that Nina and Ian will get back together. I believe in love as much as the next person, but be realistic people! Nina has a boyfriend now and Ian... well he's still figuring stuff out but he is very supportive of his co-star/ ex-girlfriend which is more than most can say about their exe's.

          Second, the news of newly divorced Paul Wesley and former TVD star (now The Originals star) Phoebe Tonkin having a relationship caused an immediate outcry. TVD fans already hated Phoebe's character, Hayley, the werewolf girl in search of her family. Phoebe's character received HUGE abuse when she slept with Klaus (Joseph Morgan). I am also a Klaroline fan but I saw the scene for what it was: a one night stand. I was just happy to see Joseph Morgan shirtless and getting some action for his character. Then when it was discovered that Hayley was pregnant; alright... I admit... I was a tiny bit upset but I had nothing against Hayley at all. I was just thinking: "That's too Twilight!" And I did tweet regretfully that I never wanted a character to have an abortion or miscarry so quick before. But upon further reflection of about 3 minutes I calmed down and realized: "This is the next step on Klaus's journey on being redeemed. How else will he get Caroline unless he changes his ways and the best way to do that is to care for someone other than himself." Yet still Phoebe Tonkin received a huge back lash from Klaroline fans that bordered... no, that WAS bullying. Because of that I became a Hayley fan. She's bad ass and doesn't take crap from anybody especially from her baby daddy, Klaus.

             On my Google+ account on The Vampire Diaries Community, someone posted a picture of Paul Wesley and Phoebe Tonkin kissing. I was the first comment and I wrote: "Awwww They're cute together." Immediately afterwards the hate just poured out from other fans. The caustic, cruel comments just burned me like acid. There were comments like: "I hate her!!!" and "She's so fake!" and some just plain denial: "This photo has to have been doctored!" I was so disgusted with these comments that I commented again trying to set these bitches straight (yeah I'm calling you bitches, because of the way you're acting so you deserve that insult). I posted that Phoebe doesn't deserve this and that people should leave Phoebe and Paul ALONE! They are not characters in your fantasy world. What if you met Paul Wesley in real life and you said those things to his girl? You think he'd just stand there and listen to your superficial bile? No! He'd tell you to shut up and defend Phoebe. You don't know Phoebe and you certainly don't know Paul and given to what he's been through I wasn't angry at all when the news came out that he and Phoebe were seeing each other. Phoebe says she's never been bullied before and it broke my heart that she was getting such abuse from those so-called "diehard" TVD fans.

            The actors appreciate the love from fans. They love how you appreciate them for the work that they do. Joseph Morgan appreciates more because not many people knew who he was before he was cast as Klaus in the show. Now that appreciation brought on a spin-off! But fan or not, I doubt Joseph Morgan would take a fan or fanatic's rude opinion about his girlfriend, Persia White (who played Bonnie's mom, Abby) or against any of his co-stars and friends. I understand that fans have crushes on their favorite stars but that love is one-sided and juvenile.

             I know not ALL fans are like this. On the contrary they're very supportive and those are the fans that make me proud to be a part of the TVD Family. Yet I will NOT TOLERATE any bad treatment against the TVD stars or any other stars of my other TV shows for that matter! They are not yours to move around and play with. You don't know how they feel or what they think, you don't know them period! So if you find yourself at a red carpet party with the other fans holding signs and screaming their heads off, just remember to stay on YOUR side of the velvet rope, keep your rude comments to yourself, respect the actors, and the body guards won't taze you or eject you from the party.

     

No comments: